May 2, 2012

Finding your talent

Finding your talent isn't always that easy. Many people don't know were they are good at and don't know how to find it. Everybody has a talent but for some its just difficult to find. You can even create your talent. By creating I mean getting skilled, teaching yourself.

My talent: Drawing. How did I discover I could draw?
Well, i always knew i could draw simple things without any problems and my mom could draw/paint too.
She had her paintings in the hallway. The paintings where so good i got inspired by them. and on school we had an assignment where you had to draw a celebrity. I drew Sohee from the wondergirls and got a 7,5. Thats a B- or something in American. When I saw that i got a  7,5 i was so unsatisfied. Just because i worked very hard on the drawing. Yeah, I'm one of those kids who aren't satisfied with anything lower than a B lol. So i set my mind with the thought: "I can do better than this and i will show them!" so i started drawing portraits from celebrity's and random people. Joined Deviantart. What helped me a whole lot. I got tips from artists there. And in 2 years i saw myself grow.

I went from this


To this..


So it is true you HAVE TO BELIEVE in yourself. And practice.

I've made a step-by-step plan you can follow.

  1. Ask yourself: "What do i like to do?" What could i do?" "Am i willing to do this? " 
  2. Get Inspired: Go look around outside. Look around youtube. Surf the internet. Go to places. Explore you!
  3. Create realistic goals: For example: in 10 weeks from now.. In a month from now i want to..
  4. Challenge yourself: This one goes with point 3. If you set yourself realistic goals try to even do better than the goals you just set, or make little challenges for yourself. 
  5. Be passioned about it: If your passioned about what you do, you'll do everything easier.
  6. Find out your learning style: Learning style could be learning through audio, watching people, asking tips. Doing it yourself and ask people about opinions so they can correct you. There are all kinds of learning styles. A course/class could be one of them.
  7. Correct yourself: What is your weak point? Try to correct that with more practice on that specific point. With drawing for me that would be hair. At one point I only drew loose hair strands. Your weakest point could be your strongest point.
  8. Write it down: Keep a journal or blog and write down in what you improved, what you could work on. What your goals are.
  9. Share: Share your talent/skills with someone. Sharing your talent is not only good for you, but also for the people around you. You'd be surprised how sharing can help develop your talent.
  10. Be open minded:  Your talent could be singing, dancing, writing, drawing but it also could be picking things up easily. Remember everybody is different everybody has different talents 
  11. And lost but not least: Be patient: Be patient about getting better. Be patient about finding your talent. If you are going to fast you might miss it.  Try doing many different things. If something doesn't suite you/doesn't work out for you, move on. 


2 comments:

Shay Lavender said...

OMG! You can draw so well! I draw too, sometimes, but not as good as you. Thank you for the tips btw. :)

Ana said...

Amazing dear!!
Well done ;D
keep it up^^
beijinhos*